Yes, this really is a low fat cake. There's no butter in sight here! It's light and delicious, served with a pile of fresh peaches or strawberries to satisfy your cake craving without bursting the calorie bank. Always good to look forward to after that long weekend run or when you want to reward yourself with a yummy dessert.
120g Plain Flour
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
80g Icing Sugar
125g golden caster sugar
8 Egg whites
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla bean paste or seeds from a vanilla pod
- Whisk the egg whites until they begin to stiffen
- Sieve in the icing sugar and add the vanilla bean paste and caster sugar
- Continue to whisk until the mixture forms stiff, glossy peaks
- Sieve in the flour and baking powder in 3 lots, folding in very carefully so you keep the air in.
- Place the mixture into a lined 20cm cake tin and bake in an oven preheated to 180 degrees C for about 35 minutes until the cake is springy to the touch and golden brown
- Cool on a wire rack and serve, dusted with icing sugar